Tell us what it's going to take for you to return to Guyana.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Recent Progress on Takatu' Bridge



Guyanese have been awaiting the long anticipated bridge that will create transport links with Brazil. The completion of the bridge will be a precursor to a paved highway that will connect the bridge near Lethem to Lindon in the north. I was able to visit the bridge zone personally at the end of 2005 and was disappointed with the lack of progress, as I only saw concrete uprights and nothing more. The last time I logged into Google Earth, I decided to pan over the bridge zone and thought that there was a big raft in the river. Upon closer inspection i noticed that my newly discovered raft cast a shadow on the river, so now it must be a hovercraft right? It seems that in fact that progress is being made again on the bridge. It's one more step towards completing a vital trade artery not only for Guyana, but especially for those who live in Region 9, an area that severely lacks the development that it so needs. I don't know how recent this image is. If anyone knows of anymore details concerning the bridge please feel obligated to tell me.

No comments: